Monday, November 16, 2020

Girl Scout Zoom Scavenger Hunt


Pre-Covid Girl Scout

Several years ago, I was one of the leaders of my daughter's Girl Scout troop. I had taken a lot on that year - I had also been a Sunday School teacher and a Girls on the Run Coach. It was a lot and I ended up quitting all of my volunteer positions because I was just run down.

But my daughter's Girl Scout troop needed a leader for the Brownies and no-one else was coming forward so I volunteered. I'm not going to take on anything else, especially since things like Sunday School aren't happening right now anyway.

In pre-Covid times, we met at a local church in their youth room. It had lots of space, which was good because our troop has different ages groups so we could all spread out. But because of the pandemic, the church isn't comfortable with us using their indoor space. They do have a covered pavilion with picnic tables outside and we have been meeting there

Since we are in NC, the weather has been warm enough for us to do that. But for this week's meeting, it was suppose to be 45 degrees out so we decided to move the meeting online to Zoom.

Over the summer, we had a few Zoom meetings that I ran because I was asked to set up the meeting. It went pretty well, but we were only doing it with the older girls. Today was the first time we were doing it with the whole troop.

Now our troop has gotten a lot smaller. We have some girls who just lost interest and some parents who didn't feel comfortable with meeting in person at all even though we are outside and require everyone to wear masks. Even though we are smaller, we still have three different age groups from 2nd grade to 6th grade so we had to do something that all of them would enjoy.

I found the idea to do a scavenger hunt and started to look up things for the girls to find around their houses. I found a lot of vague lists but nothing that was Girl Scout related so I made up my own.

As the weather gets colder and while the pandemic still rages, I thought I'd share my Girl Scout themed scavenger hunt so any troop can use them. All our girls had a lot of fun finding their items and showing them off!

1) Find something Daisy blue

2) Find something that would be useful on a hike

3) Your favorite patch or Girl Scout shirt

4) Find something that is Brownie brown

5) Find something that would be useful at a cookie booth

6) Something you made

7) A pet or stuffed animal

8) Find something Junior green

9) Find something Cadette beige

The only one that isn't really Girl Scout related is the pet / stuffed animal one. I have found that nearly every Zoom meeting has the girls wanting to show off their pets. Something you made I said could be something at Girl Scouts or elsewhere. 

As we continue to use Zoom as we go into winter, hopefully we can think of more fun things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment