Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ashless Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the start of Lent. Usually my church has two services tonight, and usually Emily and I go. My church does the ashes on the forehead as a reminder that we come from ashes and to ashes we will return.

But with the nasty weather we've been getting and the chance for more snow today, my church decided yesterday to cancel the services tonight. I had been on the fence on trying to go, so I'm glad my decision was made for me.

Emily is a little sad - she loves getting the ashes on her forehead. I'm a little sad too, it's one of my favorite services of the year. It's really a powerful reminder of our mortality to start off Lent. But it's better than trying to drive on roads that may be icy.

Instead, we'll read stories in Emily's Bible and pretend we give each other ashes. All while we stay warm and safe in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment