Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Summer Movies - ET

Image: fanart.tv
One of the things I miss most right now is going to the movies. I've always loved going to see movies on the big screen. I was lucky enough to even work at a movie theater for a while in college. I don't know what the first movie my parents took me to see, but I do have some memories of going to see
ET when I was four years old.

On the surface, it looked like it was going to be a cute kid's movie, but it ended up freaking preschool me out. The beginning was dark and kinda scary for a four year old. Though this is probably the first time that I had even heard of D&D since that's what they we playing at the start of the movie.

The ET character was a little freaky too - though I do have memories have having and loving a plush ET doll. But it was a scene near the end that was scariest for me.

It was the scene where ET and Elliott are in the sterile room. It was partly because Elliott was sick and ET was dying but it was also the visuals of scientists in white, PPE suits. It was just terrifying if you are four.

I've rewatched ET several times, and I remember feeling vaguely anxious watching that part of the movie even when I was older. It had quite an effect on me!

I honestly think I would have loved it if I was a little older. It's all fantasy and science and the alien can be pretty cute too! But not really appropriate for a four year old.

Do you have any movies that scared you as a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment