Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Pandemic Diaries - The ER Visit

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while but kept forgetting. But I hope to start blogging more.

On April 19th, I fell off my carport. It wasn't a huge drop but I watched my right foot bend upwards in a way it shouldn't have.

The pain was immediate and very high. My husband and kid had to help me inside and onto bed. I iced it and elavated it, but it was still very painful the next day so I had my husband take me to the ER.

We pulled up to the entrance of the ER and they had a tent set up. They had several people stationed there in full PPE gear. After I told them why I was there, they asked me the standard COVID questions and took my temperature.

I was rolled into the building in a wheelchair and my husband had to stay outside in the car. It was more than a little bizarre because the waiting room was empty.

After waiting only a few minutes in the waiting room, I was rolled back to a room. I didn't have to wait very long before someone came to check me out.

They brought an x-ray machine to my room and got the x-rays done. The doctor was very attentive, coming in to check on me several times.

In the end, it was one of the fastest ER visits I've had. The x-rays showed I just had a sprain though it was a pretty bad one. They gave me prescriptions for pain medicine and a referral to the orthopedist.

I only saw one other patient - they had been moving her in a bed when I was being rolled back to a room.

Though I was anxious about going because of the virus, I'm glad I went. They were very professional and I felt safe. I'm glad they were taking extra precautions. I do have to wonder how different it would be now, nearly two months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment