Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Second Generation Work From Home Mom

More and more people have the opportunity to work from home these days thanks to the wonder of the internet. I am able to do tech support in my pj’s from my home office and I make pretty decent money especially since I don’t have any commuting expenses.  But I am probably a little rarer that I’m a second generation work from home mom since for many years my mom also worked from home.

My mom worked a variety of jobs when I was little as she tried to work shifts that only took place when we were at school. When I was a little older, my parents started a water testing business since my dad is a microbiologist. Originally they rented an office but that didn’t last very long. They converted part of our basement to an office for my mom and a lab for my dad. She handled all the office parts and he handled all the science parts.

She didn’t do all the work from home since someone had to collect the samples. In the summer, I’d ride along with her and we’d talk. It was a great bonding time for me and my mom. But she was able to control her schedule completely so if either my sister or I were sick, she could move things around to be there for us.

When I was a sophomore in college, I got very sick. My mom was able to adjust things so she could drive two hours to pick me up and bring me home. I was very glad she was able to do that for me.

My parents ran the business even after my mom got cancer though it got harder as the cancer got worse. After my mom passed away, my dad sold it but I’m not sure if it’s still in business. But I have great memories of my mom working from home and being there for me when it was necessary. And I’m very thankful I’m also able to work from home too!

No comments:

Post a Comment