Monday, January 20, 2014

Sickness

A little over a week ago, my daughter went to a birthday party for one of her preschool friends. She had a great time but I think she brought something home with her. That something being the flu that is going around.

She woke up early on Sunday with a fever and she was really listless all day. I figured she might have the flu and I really confirmed it once I got it the next day. She and I spent several days in bed trying to get better. Thank goodness after a few days the fever subsided, though we both have a bit of a cold now.

We’ve been really lucky that Emily has only been really sick a few times in her short life. But I was super paranoid during this sickness, due to reading the wrong things on the internet. A few weeks before we got sick I read a post on Reddit about a parent who found their 10 year old passed away due to the nasty flu that’s going around.

So when Emily got the flu, I checked on her repeatedly during the night to make sure she was still breathing. She was and my paranoia got less as she got better. Though I do need to read less things about dead kids on the internet.

We kept Emily out of school all week because of the fever. At least two kids in her class had the flu too and because of the nasty strain of the flu going around, the school asked to err on the side of caution when sending kids back to school. At least one of the kids who got the flu were also had the birthday party. Who knows how it started but it’s been a very long week.

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing worse than seeing the wee ones sick. Both of my daughters are prone to high fevers when they get sick, and it never fails to make me paranoid. I'm glad your little one is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's much better - helps me sleep better. Sickness does make me so much more paranoid.

      Delete