Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Stamina and Dragon Con

The last few years, I've done one post about the negative things I'd experienced during that year's Dragon Con. I didn't really have anything negative happen so I thought I'd talk about something different this year.

In November of 2014, I had a bunch of seizures and ended up in the hospital for ten days. It was horrible and when I got home, it took a long time to recover. I spent several months really weak and groggy until my neurologist got my meds sorted out.

I spent most of last year trying to get my strength and stamina back. I couldn't walk on our treadmill for more than five minutes without getting winded. I had some balance issues and overall was just really run down.

At the start of 2016, the first day in fact, Todd and I joined the Y. At first, I would just go swimming and use the walking track. It was hard because my body was so out of shape, but I kept at it. After a few months, I also started weight training.

I've only lost a few pounds but my stamina seemed to have come back for the most part. But it wasn't until this past weekend at Dragon Con that I realized how much my stamina had returned.

Dragon Con, for those who don't know, is a huge geek convention held in five hotels in the middle of downtown Atlanta. Most of the hotels are close together but there is always a ton of walking that happens.

Last year's Dragon Con was rough. I didn't have a lot of strength and the constant walking made my legs very sore. I tried not to push it too much but I ended up feeling very sick by the time the con was over.

This year was a different story. We got down to the con fairly early on Friday and even with a ton of walking during a very full day, my legs weren't sore at all. They got a little sore over the next few days, but nothing like years past. All that working out is paying off!

Not being sore and tired really helped me enjoy this year's Dragon Con that much more! And hopefully next year, I'll have even more stamina and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment