Thursday, January 14, 2016

Mourning Celebrities

Image: www.fanpop.com 
It's been a rough week for fans of pop culture. Earlier this week, David Bowie passed away after a battle with cancer. I open Facebook this morning and find that Alan Rickman has also died of cancer.

Fuck cancer.

The morning after Bowie had died, my Facebook feed was filled with remembrances and grief for him. I honestly wasn't as sad as some people, though I was sad. I wasn't a big fan of his music but his performance as the Goblin King really had a big impact on young adult me.

Seeing that Alan Rickman died on Facebook this morning was much more of a gut punch. I'm honestly gutted because I loved his work. So many great roles over the years. I'm sure as I write this, my social media feed is filling up with tributes.

My husband thinks it's odd that I get sad when celebrities die. But music, film, television, books can play a huge role in our lives. At least in mine. So it feels like I know celebrities, even though I really don't. And it's a loss either way.

I will continue to mourn my favorite celebrities as they shuffle off this earthly plane. I just hope that the universe gives us a break for a bit and there are no more celebrity deaths this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment