Friday, January 15, 2016

Time Travel Via Television

Image: www.clipartpanda.com 
I had a nasty fall on Monday night walking back to the car after Girl Scouts with Emily. Nighttime plus a crack in the sidewalk equals a very sore Mandy. I didn't break anything but I've not been feeling great the last few days.

Because I've been laid up I've been watching a lot of TV. I have been making my way through 7th Heaven as well as mixing it up with episodes of The West Wing as well as the first season of the new Flash.

I'm currently in season five of 7th Heaven, which aired in 2000/2001. I'm in the first season of The West Wing which takes place in 1999/2000. It's hard to believe that it was 15 / 16 years ago that these shows I'm watching aired.

In 7th Heaven, no-one has cell phones. The parents and the kids are constantly using pay phones to try and get a hold of each other. One episode had the mom and the dad playing phone tag all around town trying to get a hold of each other as both find out how much their daughter Mary had been lying to them.

The West Wing, they have cell phones, but they touch on the hot button topics of the day. Like gay marriage (or as we call it in 2016 - marriage). Things have really changed a ton since then.

Of course, in both of these shows, it's before 9/11. I know The West Wing does a special episode about it and I'm guessing 7th Heaven will talk about it too. It's almost strange to remember a time before 9/11 happened. Our world has changed so much since then.

While television isn't reality, it does give us a glimpse of what the world was like back then. So it's like a bit of time travel right from my own bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment