Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Finished Stocking!

When I was a kid, my Christmas stocking was handmade for me by my grandmother (on my dad's side). I still have it and it's a great family heirloom. When Emily was a baby, I decided that I wanted to make her a stocking. I can't knit or crochet, but I can cross stitch.

This stocking has been a long project - it's taken me probably three years to finish it. I actually started it once but had miscounted, so I had to get another kit and start from the beginning.

I had been stitching a lot because I had wanted to finish it before this past Christmas, but I didn't get it done. So I put finishing the 'sock', as Emily calls it, as one of my big goals for this year.

A week or so ago I finished all the stitching, but I left it for a while because I was afraid of cutting it out. I was really afraid I was going to mess something up after all the year's of work I put in. Finishing up was actually easier than I though and I finished it all on Tuesday night.

Emily was very happy with how her stocking turned out and wanted me to hang it up in her room. I'm proud that I was able to finish it and give Emily her own family heirloom to enjoy for years to come. Now she can stop using her 'Baby's First Christmas' stocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment