Wednesday, July 17, 2013

How Audio Books Helped Me Stay Sane

Sleepy Emily Baby
When my daughter was a newborn, and nursing what seemed to be all the time, I had a hard time not being bored out of my mind. During the day, it wasn't as much of a problem because I had the TV and computer to keep me amused.
At night, especially when she woke up in the middle of the night for an hour long (or more) nursing session, I’d feel like I was going insane. I had one of those pillows that let me sit up in bed, and my daughter slept in a pack & play next to our bed.
I would look enviously at my husband as he slept without hearing our baby cry, while I’d get up to nurse. I was fairly comfortable in bed, but I didn't want to fall asleep so I was just sitting there staring at the walls.
I really don’t remember how I came across audio books, but I do remember it was a godsend. I started with the Harry Potter audio books, which are wonderful, and expanded my audio library from there. It was wonderful because my mind was able to be engaged while my daughter nursed at night.
I don't listen to a lot of audio books now but I still have them all if I need them. When I had a job filing, I listened to a lot of audio books during work because the work was so boring that I needed something to keep my mind engaged.
I’d recommend audio books for any new mom – there are lots of geeky books to choose from and can be put on an MP3 player. I know that these really helped save my sanity in the early days of my daughter’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment