Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Strange Encounters At The Store

Emily in her Minnie Mouse dress
I'm rather shy and can be uncomfortable with people. Before I had Emily, I was able to go about my business without random people talking to me and I liked that! But Emily is cute and little, so now people are talking to us all the time. Most of the time, it's okay and Emily likes the attention but sometimes we have some strange encounters with people.

Emily and I had to go to the store the other day because I needed a few things including a new bathtub mat. Emily was looking adorable in one of her favorite dresses that has a picture of Minnie Mouse on the front. We were walking through the freezer section when an older man asked if Mickey Mouse was on her dress. We said no, that it was Minnie as we were walking away. But he followed us, now talking in a Donald Duck voice.

I smiled and didn't say much. Emily had this look on her face like she was wondering why this grown man was talking in a duck's voice. I could tell she was a little freaked out. We moved on to do our shopped and he followed us! I think he realized that he was coming off as creepy because he explained that he was named after Donald Duck so he felt that he needed to learn how to do the duck voice.

Emily was getting increasingly more uncomfortable, so I said something vague about that being cool and went on our way. Thank goodness he didn't follow us anymore more. I did see him in the store later and took a wide path around.

The other strange encounter that happened on that trip was when I was checking out. There was an older couple in front of us. We put our things on the belt and they started talking to the cashier about the new bathtub mat I was buying. They talked about how it smelled back (it's all plastic so it smells like plastic) and then would never use one because of the bad smell. The cashier agreed.

I didn't say anything throughout this strange encounter because I didn't feel the need to justify the purchase. The point of it is to keep Emily from slipping and falling in the tub when she is getting in and out. Yeah, it does smell but it just stays in the bathroom so that it's a big deal to me.

Thankfully we were done with our shopping and were able to get out of the store. It was just a very strange shopping trip.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty outgoing myself but I still find it odd when people feel the need to (a) invade your personal space or (b) comment on what you're wearing, your purchases, etc., like you're not there. Some people seem to believe that when you have a baby or child with you, it's unwritten invitation to get all up in your face. That's fine if it's just a friendly, "what a cute baby" or "I like your Pokemon T-shirt," but not when it moves into the realm or rude or creepy.

    I guess it's a good opportunity to teach our kids about personal space and standing up for themselves. It's a little more difficult with younger kids, but even just saying something like, "I felt weird when that man kept following us. When that happens it's OK to say, 'leave me alone.'" Or something, just to let the little ones know you don't have to be polite all the time, especially if someone's making you uncomfortable. Of course it's easy to think of something witty to say that after the fact. Much harder while someone is actually doing the creepy thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't mind if people comments on how cute Emily is or if they like my shirt. But this was weird and creepy.

    I didn't really talk much about it with her, but it happens again, I should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when things like that happen. It throws my whole day off. That was definitely weird and creepy.

    ReplyDelete