Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ten Years Ago....

Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/
I watch the Super Bowl every year. I’ve been to a few parties but most of the time I just watch it from home. As I watched the excellent half time show this past Sunday, I was reminded of another Super Bowl from ten years ago.

In 2004, I was struggling with my new chronic pain. I was in the midst of the doctor’s trying every medicine they could think of and none of them making any difference. I was living at home at the time and I was suffering from very high levels on Super Bowl Sunday.

I still watched the Super Bowl though I was stuck on the couch because it hurt to move. In years past, I had gotten up for snacks or to go to the bathroom during the halftime show. But that year, I watched it because I wasn’t going anywhere.

So I got to see Janet Jackson’s boob, which didn’t seem very shocking to me. Partly because I have my own boobs, but I was feeling doped up on pain and whatever medicine I was trying that week. I didn’t really think much about it until the internet exploded the next day.

Ten years later, I still think that a lot of fuss was made about not much. But I’ll always remember it as part of what happened at the height of me trying to figure out how to manage my pain. Thankfully this year’s Super Bowl I felt pretty good and got to watch it with my family

No comments:

Post a Comment