Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Why I'm Not a Brony

Emily with Twilight Sparkle 
I’m going to start out this post by saying I don’t think there is anything wrong with being a brony. I think if I was younger and/or didn't have a young child, I would be a brony. But there is a reason why I'm  not.

When I was a kid, I loved My Little Pony. Not so much the TV show but the actual toys. My favorite was a pink Pegasus pony that I played with all the time. When the new show came out, Emily was a toddler. She was really into shows like Dora that were not fun at all for me to watch. So we caught My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic when we could because it’s a much better show than Dora.

She didn't like it as much when it first came on, because I think she was a little young for it. But now that she’s nearly five years old, it’s one of her favorite shows. We go through periods where we watch a lot of ponies. She just got the new Equestria Girls movie a few days ago and we've already watched it several times.

Because I watch My Little Pony with Emily, I have no desire to watch it when she’s not around. I think this is the main reason I’m not a brony. While I don’t mind watch ponies, after watching the Too Many Pinkie Pies episode again and again, I’m a little turned off by it.

I can understand why other people are bronies though – it’s a very good show. There is just too much of a good thing sometimes, especially when you are the parent of a preschooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment